Hotel of Sarah is a collection of my favourite ideas from hotels I’ve visited and if I was ever to open my own hotel (one day, one day…) it would be home to a combination of some, if not all, of the ideas I’ve come across and loved.
Over the first May bank holiday I stayed at Le Méridien Nice and several aspects of the hotel stood out for me that would undoubtedly make an appearance in my own hotel, so I thought they deserved their own dedicated post.
In no particular order they are:
1. The view – obviously a breathtaking view isn’t always possible depending on location but waking up to sun, sea, and palm trees is one hell of a way to start the day. We stayed in a Deluxe Room on the 6th floor with the Mediterranean Sea as our view which was beautiful morning, noon and night, and a welcome change to the concrete jungle (thank you Jay Z and Alicia) London sometimes seems to be.
2. A Shot of Inspiration – I love this idea. On the way to breakfast each morning there were shot glasses filled with healthy drinkable treats using local flavours which, during our stay, included almond milk and lavender, and orange and fennel juice. In the event there is a wait to be seated it adds a little fun to the delay and it’s always welcome when the predictable, i.e. juice at breakfast, becomes the unpredictable.
3. La Terrasse – I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, I am a sucker for a rooftop bar. And when the rooftop bar includes a pool, restaurant and views over the Mediterranean I am alllll for it. Picture it – Fresh, seasonal, local food with a cocktail in hand and the sun’s rays for company. Heaven.
4. Chilled glasses in the mini bar – I’ve never seen this before but when you think about it, where else would/should glasses be? It makes SO much sense. There were chilled tumblers and Champagne glasses in the minibar which worked out well for us as we had leftover Champagne from the flight to be finished. Win.
5. 24 hour music – Hotels with customised anything are a hit with me and that includes retro, post-punk, sixties, pop, European lift music. ‘A New Wave’ is a 24 hour playlist curated exclusively for Le Méridien Hotels & Resorts which plays continuously and transitions according to the time of day. I probably won’t go for this particular genre in my own hotel but I think the curated music idea is a pretty cool one.